Sunday, December 9, 2007

Weekend in New York




We spent a lovely weekend in New York. We arrived on Friday and Laura and her three darling kiddies met us at the Cheesecake Factory in White Plains. (unfortunately, Alan had to work most of the weekend) I was so happy that Connor and Abby remembered us and we didn't have that annoying "getting reacquainted shyness." After dinner we went to Laura's house and watched A "Charlie Brown Christmas." Connor was so excited to sit by Papa Rich on the couch and watch the show together. Really the best part was seeing how happy Laura was to have us in her home, playing with her kiddies and seeing her life in New York. And the Buchanan family does have a good life; Alan is a hard worker and dedicated father and husband, and Laura is an amazing mother, devoted, loving, always teaching. Of course, Connor and Abby and Andrew are adorably cute and smart. (Rich just kept saying: "that Abby is so adorable!")

Saturday we met Alan in the city and saw the hit musical "Wicked." It was just as good as has been reported. I think my favorite Broadway musical is still "Les Miserables," but "Wicked" is a close second. We were so lucky that the stagehand strike ended on Thursday so we could use the tickets that Rich got six months ago. It was so freezing cold and windy in the city! But we were just happy to be there and enjoy the show together.

We went straight from the show to the Buchanan's Ward Christmas Party. It was great for us that we got to see Connor being a sheep in the Nativity put on by the Primary. We were able to attend Church on Sunday with Laura as well and it was nice to be in her ward and play with Connor and Abby during sacrament meeting.

Sunday evening we transferred to the Marriott Marquis hotel at Times Square. Rich had a Continuing Legal Education seminar on Monday and Tuesday. Monday I wandered around New York City by myself. I went to Rockefeller Center to see the tree and ice skaters. I went to St Patrick's Cathedral and lit a candle. It is such a beautiful building and reverent to me in spite of the fact that the public is wandering in and out. I spent a couple of hours at the Museum of Modern Art. I always enjoy an art museum! I also stopped by the NBA store and got Michael a tshirt. Tuesday I went to the Manhattan Temple. It was a long 20 block walk in the cold wind from the hotel to the temple, but I really like walking around New York City. We flew home that night. (to avoid another $600/night hotel bill!) It was a really great weekend; a perfect mix of being with family and enjoying some time alone.

3 comments:

Richard B said...

Thanks for your report about your NY trip. Sounds like you had a great time. Yes, that Abby is adorable. I can't wait to see them next week.

laura said...

I did LOVE having you in my home. Especially serving Dad a bev and seeing him sleep on my couch!

Gram said...

We are so happy you were able to go and enjoy you daughter and grandchildren in New York. I always missed having my parents come to my home and see what my children had done or what I had accomplished. So I am glad you could go and be with adorable children.