Friday, March 28, 2008

Easter Thoughts

I've often wondered why we have so many traditions and make such a big deal out of Christmas,(which I love!) but Easter has been pretty understated, no real traditions - I mean, the Easter bunny - seriously? Well, this year, thanks to blogging and the internet I've discovered traditions and thoughts about Easter that I was previously unaware of, and which I would like to integrate into my personal and my family's Easter commemoration. I plan to do better next year. Such as: observing Ash Wednesday and Lent, it's a great thing to give up something in honor of Christ's sacrifice, improving ourselves and bringing a greater spiritual depth. I also want to somehow commemorate Maundy Thursday; what an important day, the day that Christ washed the disciples feet, instituted the sacrament and suffered in Gethsemane. Also, a more thoughtful Good Friday, maybe even serving hot cross buns. I'm looking forward to making the Easter season as special as the Christmas season. One thing I've done the past few years is listen to the song, "He's Alive" by Dolly Parton on Easter morning. I love that song, it's written in the voice of Peter and it never fails to bring the Spirit and remind me of the true meaning of Easter: He IS Alive and because of that we can be resurrected and work toward Eternal Life.

2 comments:

jenny said...

You're right Mom..thanks for your example!

Gram said...

Lovely comments, Janet, and I agree with you that more should be said and thought of on Easter. The Savior suffered so much for all of us and we really need to appreciate it. Thaks for going on the trip with us. It was nice to have you and Jill there. I appreciate your effort to take the time out of your busy life.