Monday, June 9, 2008

I Garden, I'm a Gardner


So, today this 50-year-old woman spent SEVEN hours working outside in the yard. I cleaned out the front beds, planted some flowers, (which you can't really see because they need to grow) and decorated for the
Fourth of July. By the way, there's an open invitation for whiling away some time on my porch swing!




I'm especially pleased with the clematis climbing up the mailbox; I've been coaxing it for four years!



The BIG news is that we have a VEGETABLE GARDEN. It's been years since I planted vegetables. This year we took out the sandbox that Papa built when Michael was little and I was left with a patch of sand, so I decided to make it a garden. I put in the little fence and planted tomatoes, anaheim peppers, (which Rich puts in his ramen noodles for breakfast each morning) cucumbers and zuchini and a daisy in the middle for fun.



This little bed outside the back door did really well last year with impatients so I planted them again this year.

I do like being outside and "playing in the dirt" and making my little piece of earth look beautiful and I hope I can move tomorrow!

5 comments:

Marsha said...

Janet: While I may not comment often, I do look forward to reading your blog. I would love to come and spend some time on your front porch--but it is just too far away. Your yard looks lovely! Congratulations for your hard work. Marsha

Richard B said...

Great job Janet. Your efforts really made your yard look nice. We'll have to recommend you for the best yard in Orem award. Glad you continue to enjoy life and what you do.

laura said...

It looks great, Mom. I need to learn that someday. Did you always love that or will it come to me once I own my own dirt?

Gram said...

The yard and garden look beautiful! You are a GARDENER. I do hope you were able to move this morning. That was a lot of work and you aren't 20 anymore. I am happy you enjoy doing that and digging in the dirt. It just never appealed to me.

jenny said...

Good work, Mom! It looks great in real life:) You did good..Hope you can move tomorrow! I can't believe you continued to work inthe yard today- you are one tough gal!