Sunday, January 25, 2009

Like Mother, Like Daughter (I hope)

While I was in NY at Laura's house I did the following:

Cleaned the oven and stove
Made tutus and aprons for the birthday party
Scrubbed her cookie sheets shiny new
Mended Abby's jammies (little toes were sticking out)
Folded laundry and put it away
Got everything out of Laura's closet so she could clean and organize it

Where did I learn to give service like this?

From her:


Every time my mother came when I had a baby she was SO helpful - always cleaned my oven. When she came for Laura's birth she did all the baby bathing and I was seriously afraid to take over when she left. I didn't know how I could care for that little infant without her!

Then when she came for Mary's birth she played with and read to Laura and let down all the hems in her dresses that she had grown out of.

For Todd's birth she came all the way to Korea and came to the birth and supported me through 1 1/2 hours of pushing. Ouch for both of us!

After Jenny's birth, Mom and Dad came to our new house and removed wallpaper and painted and helped us get settled.

So I only hope that I can follow her example in serving my family. Her whole life has been dedicated to serving her family; I'm grateful for the service and the example.

In fact, on this very day, my parents surprised me by attending our sacrament meeting because I was playing a piano solo. Talk about supporting their 51-year-old daughter! And they paid for the piano lessons, too!



I love you, Mom and Dad
You're the best!

7 comments:

jenny said...

Mom you are amazing and I can see how you became so. Grandma and Grandpa are always willing to serve and truly great people. Thank you for all of your examples.

laura said...

I so appreciate all that you did for me in my home. I wouldn't have slept at all if I had to make all those tutus by myself!

And I'm always grateful for a clean oven that I didn't have to clean!

Gram and Gramps are both such amazing examples of service. I'm glad I have them, and you, as examples to look to. Thank you.

Karrissa Winward said...

They seriously are the best! I am sure Laura appreciated everything you did for her, mother's help is ALWAYS appreciated!

Kim said...

So sweet! I hope I can serve like you, your mom and my mom too. How lucky I am to have such awesome examples!

Richard B said...

After reading this we'll have to change our will and give 100% to you.
Thank you Janet for your kind words. We are just doing what we feel we should be doing as parents and grandparents. We thank you and all of the family for their love and support of us.

Gram said...

I think Dad said it all! I appreciate your kind words about us. I really didn't know how to act when I came to help you with babies. I only had my mom one time. I loved that she cooked every supper for us. My mother helped when we came there but she wasn't able to come help with my babies, except for Lynn and that was very appreciative. For the other three I had to muddle through on my own.

You and Rich help and love your children and grandchildren and do a great job.

It was fun to surprise you and see and hear you play a solo, well done! (and you didn't play it an octave lower, either ha, ha) Thanks for the kind words. we love all of the family and it is fun to be together.

Richard said...

Well said, Janet. Your mom and dad are great examples of service to their family--and great examples in many other ways. We love you, Cenia and Dick.

Rich