Saturday, August 8, 2009

Compression and Expansion

Ever since I read cjane's post last week, I have been musing on Compression and Expansion.

I was reminded of words I read in a book entitled "House Thinking" by Winnifred Gallagher:

"The most important evolutionary elements of an appealing home are the paired features of prospect, or a big, bright space that has a broad, interesting view, and a refuge, or snug protected haven. . . Having the option of occupying either the snug or the expansive space while enjoying the contrast between them is the kind of simple yet important design feature that makes a house or apartment feel like home."

Interestingly, in Courtney's essay she is telling of visiting Frank Lloyd Wright's compound in Arizona and Gallagher also refers to Wright while explaining this concept in her book:

" . . . his skillful manipulation of refuge and prospect, which Wright called nesting and perching.
"

In my own home, I have seen this principle at work. We added on a beautiful great room 11 years ago. We felt the need for a more open space where all our family could gather. It's a large room (18 x 20'), with a cathedral ceiling. It has been a wonderful place for hosting family gatherings, parties, and meetings.



Since the room that was the family room became the new dining room, the room that used to be the dining room just off the kitchen became the "sitting room." Surprisingly, the sitting room was often full of people while the great room would remain empty. My Dear Husband would often sit alone in the great room while the rest of the family crowded into the sitting room and yell, "Hey you guys, come in here!" It has kind of become a family joke.



At first I just had a couple of chairs in the sitting room, but then upon realizing how much everyone enjoyed this cozy space, we got the corner sofa that allowed for more seating.


A side note: I have always been interested in interior design; making a room beautiful and functional is one of my gifts. A God-given gift, not anything I should take pride in (although I do) but should use and give freely. As I learn about design principles from classes and books, I realize that I naturally do things the right way, and it is fascinating to me to learn cognitively WHY it is correct, and understand the principle behind my natural choices.

Courtney asks the questions:

"In regards to Compression, Expansion, and Illumination, how do you experience the duality of trial and triumph? How do you find peace with the dark and hope in the light? In your life now, what ways do you feel compression, or expansion or even illumination?"

I have been musing on her last question this week.

For twenty years I had a preschooler by my side, and a home full of six wonderful children which I happily brought into this world. That was a compression; my schedule was tight, my home was full, my life often felt overwhelming. But I loved those years, feeling indispensable in their little lives.

In contrast, my schedule is now rather expansive. Less people I am responsible for on a daily basis. Less laundry. Less food. I have a choice about how I spend my days. It is expansive and lovely and I try not to be too giddy about how much I love it.

I realize now that the expansive part of those early mother years was that I had a cute, thin body. I had energy to do all that I needed to do. I felt good most of the time in spite of childbirth and nursing and the interrupted sleep. The amount of energy needed to be a mother of young children truly is incredible!

And the compression of my life now is not the demands on my time, but the fact that my body is getting older, plumper, "tireder," and often hurts somewhere. My friend, Heather, and I have come to recognize this as God's way of saying, "The physical body is temporary and you'd best be getting some character before this is over."

I'm thankful for learning about compression and expansion. It is a true principle in good design. It is a true principle in life. It is a spiritual principle taught in the Book of Mormon:

"For it must needs be, that there is an opposition in all things."

Speaking of Adam and Eve:
"And they would have had no children;wherefore they would have remained in a state of innocence, having no joy, for they knew no misery; doing no good, for they knew no sin.

"But behold, all things have been done in the wisdom of Him who knoweth all things.

"Adam fell that men might be; and men are, that they might have JOY."

(2 Nephi 2 11, 23-25)



And so I shall stop complaining about all the aches and pains of being 50. (People older than me tell me it will just get worse!)


I shall enjoy the expansiveness of my life now and I shall endure the compression and try to learn from it.


3 comments:

Gram said...

What an insightful and beautiful post my dear daughter. I am always amazed at how well you express yourself. You always are the first to give credit to your dear husband as a good author and teacher but you also are very perceptive and intelligent.

I loved the comments and explaining your great room and the little sitting room. You and Heather also have it figured out. Each season of life brings it's own set of problems and blessings alike. I wonder why it takes us so long to understand what the real meaning of "enduring to the end"is like. We need to appreciate the moment we are in more and enjoy it.

laura said...

I'm proud to be your daughter and Gram's granddaughter. I love what both of you wrote.

Miss you fine ladies!

jenny said...

Great post, Mom. I loved every word you said. I am definitely enjoying my expansion right now, but look forward to the compression children will bring into my life in the future.

You are so thoughtful and have a gift of putting it into words. You're amazing, Mom!