Sunday, October 4, 2009

Fire for the Deed

A couple of weeks ago in Institute Christine shared this quote from the journals of Christopher Columbus:

"From my earliest youth onward, I was a seaman and have so continued until this day . . . The Lord was well disposed to my desire and He bestowed upon me courage and understanding; knowledge of seafaring He gave me in abundance, of astrology as much as was needed, and of geometry and astronomy likewise. Further he gave me joy and cunning in drawing maps and thereon cities, mountains, rivers, islands and harbours, each one in its place. I have seen and truly I have studied all books . . . and other arts, for which our Lord unlocked my mind, sent me upon the sea, and gave me fire for the deed. Those who heard of my emprise called it foolish, mocked me, and laughed. But who can doubt but that the Holy Ghost inspired me?"
(Mark E. Petersen, The Great Prologue, pp. 25-26)

Rich and I have talked about the fact that for each person there is some "deed for which we have a fire." Some activity that when we are involved in it time stands still, we feel more alive and indeed we have "joy and cunning." (in this case cunning means: adeptness in performance) For Rich it is writing and public speaking. For me it is decorating and organizing.

During the month of September I had "fire for the deed" of cleaning out and organizing and redesigning two rooms. I have felt passionate about it and every waking moment was used to accomplish my goals. I used the excuse of having our mission reunion (which, by the way, was wonderful; it was so delightful so see and visit with many of our missionaries) at our home to give me a deadline and the motivation to finish my projects. But honestly I really just felt compelled to do it.

I like to believe that my compulsion in some degree is motivated by this scripture:

"Thou shalt be diligent in preserving what thou hast, that thou mayest be a wise steward; for it is the free gift of the Lord thy God, and thou art his steward." D&C 136:27

I do feel very grateful for the home that I have and I get great joy from caring for it and making it better and more functional for our family.

I learned from my own mother the value of caring for my home, clothes, etc. My mom has always been a diligent homemaker, setting a great example for me of being a good steward.

I see others who have different "fires" than I have. Some women have a passion for teaching children, (my daughter, Laura and my mother-in-law, Gloria). Some women have a passion for cooking ~ I'm sure my family would like it if I caught this one!

I'm so thankful that I have a home to be a steward over. And I'm thankful that I have "joy and cunning" in organizing and decorating that home.

Plus, it's Columbus Day this weekend!

1 comments:

Gram said...

Thanks for Sunday dinner. I enjoyed your explanation and Christine's comments on Columbus. I just wish I had "fire for the deed" once again. Thanks for your nice comment that I was a diligent homemaker. I tried to be that and a good mother and Latter Day Saint as well. Sometimes you wonder, though if you are making any impression at all.