Saturday, February 27, 2010

Slava

At one of our meals with the other TNI employees I was blessed to hear the conversion story of Slava, a Russian employee.

He was interested in religion and at first he was drawn to Buddhism. Then he was able to read the Bible and believed in Jesus so he started going to Christian churches to find the truth. He was baptized into the Russian Orthodox church because he believed baptism was necessary, but wasn't completely satisfied.

One day he was riding the subway he read a magazine article about Mormonism and was intrigued. When he got off the train he saw on the back of a newspaper a woman was reading some mention of the Mormon church in Moscow. He said that he frightened the woman because he was so excited to see that information on the paper she was reading. He came out of the subway and went directly to a library to find that newspaper and read the article. He saw that they were having a meeting on Wednesdays at 6 pm and it was then Wednesday and 5 pm, so he went to the place of the meeting. He met the missionaries and heard the first discussion and was given a Book of Mormon. He read it and he and his girlfriend were baptized. Since then she has become his wife and they, along with their four children were sealed in the Stockholm, Sweden temple.

I was touched by his story and wondered to myself if I were not to have been blessed to have been born into the Church, if I would have searched and worked to find the truth as Slava did. I hope I would have. I feel very blessed to have heard his story and to be reminded that God does reveal Himself to all those who truly want to know the truth.

1 comments:

Gram said...

That was a great story. I, too, have often wondered if I would be searching for the truth if I had not been born into an LDS family. I'd like to think I would but know I was blessed because I didn't have to.