Saturday, July 30, 2011

Missionaries

One of our sweet missionaries wrote this in an email to all our other missionaries:

Many of you do not know me, but I had the privilege of serving with some of you. This news is devastating for us all, as we all know and love the Rife family and benefitted so much from their selfless sacrifice to take their young family across seas to Korea to serve the Lord (and us). Most of us can only imagine the flood of emotions they are going through right now, and I'm sure you are like me in being willing to do anything to help, but feeling helpless and not knowing exactly how to help. If there is one thing that I have an unwavering testimony of, it is that of the law of the fast. Imagine the power of several hundred returned missionaries fasting together for their "mission mom" and her family. Therefore, I propose that we join our faith and love in fasting/praying next Sunday July 31 in behalf of sister rife and the entire Rife family. No matter where you are, or what your circumstances are, It is something small we can do for this exemplary family who has touched and impacted each one of our lives. Fast for each of the Rife children and their families as they could all use an extra measure of comfort and peace. Fast for Elder Michael Rife as we all remember very well those first few months in Korea and how trying they can be in and of themselves. Fast for an outpouring of faith, comfort, peace, and tender mercies to be poured out upon this incredible family. Fast for whatever you feel guided to fast for.

Our Relief Society President extended an invitation for my dear RS sisters to join in. And we have found out that the Pusan Mission will also be joining. I feel honored and humbled to have so many fasting and praying for me. But I am, oh so grateful, at the same time because I believe in the power of fasting and prayer and I believe in God-given miracles! I pray that my life can be extended, that Michael will be comforted and be able to complete his mission to the Korean people, and that our family will be able to feel comfort and peace.

From the bottom of my heart, I thank everyone who is joining me in this fast. Thank you!

Its all good!

5 comments:

Karrissa Winward said...

What a neat letter Janet! We are excited to join in the fast with the many others who love you!

allegra said...

We were so very devastated and sad to hear of your diagnosis sister Rife!! Dan has only said great, wonderful things about you and we're both so very sad. I cried reading your story in the last post. I just feel for you. I can't imagine all the various emotions and ups and downs you're probably feeling, but wow, what an inspiration you are to me! A beautiful person inside and out with such a strong testimony... We've been praying for you and will continue to do so.

Can't wait to join in on the fast tomorrow....

Jill Parsons said...

What a great letter, your dear missionaries love you guys and I think it is great that so many people are willing to take the time to fast. Our family of course will be joining in the fast tomorrow. We pray for you and the other Rife members. We pray that Mike will be able to continue to serve in Korea. We love you

Richard B said...

A lot of faithful prayers and offerings will be sent your way on Sunday. We pray that you will continue to do well and be of service. Love you daughter!!

littlefox said...

We were all so grateful to be able to join today in the fast (Derek and Blake too). I was deeply touched that it felt like sacrament meeting was for you and your family and those of us who love and admire you so much. I'm sure the tender mercies will be abundant, especially with your faith and hope. Today I was blessed to be a small part of that. Thank you and thank you to the Elder who originated this special fast for you.