Sunday, April 15, 2012

The Moon

The other day I rolled over in bed and had the perfect view of the waning gibbous moon just over the trees outside my window.  If I would have turned just a little later, I would have missed it; I consider this a tender mercy in my life.

From Romeo and Juliet:

Romeo: Lady, by yonder blessed moon I swear, the tips with silver all these fruit-tree tops.--
Juliet: O, swear not by the moon, the inconstant, moon, that changes nightly in her circled orb. Less that thy love  prove likewise variable.


I disagree with Juliet.  I love that the moon moves through it's phases with regularity and you can always know where it is and what phase it is in.  I love the moon, it is not variable, but with certainty you can always know where it is!

By the way, I memorized Juliet's balcony scene for an acting class I had my freshman year of college.

2 comments:

Gram said...

It is nice you can remember the scene from so long ago. I am happy you woke up in time to view the moon from your window. I know how much you love astronomy and it makes me happy you can still enjoy it.

Thanks for the dinner and visit with family tonight. you have great daughters to do the planning and cooking and clean up like they do!

Troy said...

I remember when Elder Maxwell spoke in our stake conference about 10 years ago. He pulled down the big screen and used an overhead projector to illustrate and educate us on the beauty and the vastness of the universe. His knowledge of astronomy and the creation was so impressive. I agree with you on Juliete. I also think Romeo would of impressed his little woman a bit more if he would of spoke like a true redneck. Something like, "Jewells, I swear on that big spot light in the sky.....holy smokes, check out those apples in that there tree, I'll be right back my little butter cup."