Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Choosing Happiness

Rich recently pointed out an article about a man, Ben Thomas, who has ALS. However, he is only 31 years old and he has two-year-old daughter.  But he stated in the article:

"Happiness is a choice. People can take things from you, or your health can be taken from you, but you can always choose to be happy."


I am eternally grateful that I got to raise my children to adulthood!  And I feel the prayers of so many in my life. In fact, I feel that this scripture applies:


"And now it came to pass that the burdens which were laid upon Alma and his brethren were made light; Yea the Lord did strengthen them that they could bear up their burdens with ease, . . ."


I feel that the prayers of so many in my behalf; and the loving care that my husband and daughters and sons that is given to me,  make my burdens light and I am able to bear my burdens with ease. 


And that is why I am able to submit cheerfully and with patience to all the will of the Lord.


Mosiah 24:15

5 comments:

Marissa said...

Inspiring and so true! Thanks for sharing. I haven't been able to pick a topic for my RS Presidency Lesson and I think this will be it, if you don't mind me stealing.

Taylor Thomas said...

1 Nephi 1:20 "But behold, I, Nephi will show unto you that the tender mercies of the Lord are over all those whom he hath chosen, because of their faith, to make them mighty even unto the power of deliverance." Thank you Janet, your example is exceptionally outstanding! So grateful to have scriptures to turn to for strength. The Savior has certainly magnified you and made you mighty! You are loved and adored by all who know you.

Troy said...

I remember Elder Maxwell when he was going through cancer treatment and at first he asked why me? Then he changed his thinking and like you submitted "cheerfully" to the will of the Lord and his question changed to why not me? It's the cheerful part that I still refuse to accept in trials. When people tell me I am lucky it's not something far worse, I can't help but point out that luck should of kept the whole mess buried in the first place. Thanks for your example and testimony and of course for raising the perfect daughter for my little boy.

Fran Kieffer said...

Janet your faith, strength and ability to cheerfully submit to the will of the Lord is such a shining example and beacon of light for everyone who has been blessed to know you. It is only in the face of trial and adversity that our true spirits are shown. I have been so uplifted by observing you, Richard and your family as you have handled the struggles and challenges of ALS. You truly are a celestial spirit.
Praying for you daily blesses my life. I love you.

Gram said...

My dear Janet, I don't think I can express the feelings in my heart any better than the comments already posted. I love you so much and you have certainly been a positive influence in so many lives, including mine. I don't know why you had to be the one with ALS but you have met the challenge in a most positive manner. Keep on keeping on, as your Dad has said before. You have truly handled this disease with patience and cheerfulness.