Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Scrapbooking and An Epiphany



For the first time in almost four years I sat down to scrapbook. I finished 12 pages - June 2004 - the last month of our mission. I'm now 3 years and 8 months behind. Unlike my daughter, Laura, and the scrapbook gurus of today, I'm still stuck on the notion of scrapbooking in chronological order.

I realized though, that my scrapbooking days are numbered. Now that I'm just two years from having all my children through high school I don't think that I need to continue scrapbooking our lives in the same way that I have been. I will, of course, keep Michael's books up to date through his mission. And I still need to scrapbook my life: birth - marriage. I will continue to scrapbook our Christmases since I have Christmas albums with each Christmas since 1976. But . . . I believe that starting with 2008 I will use my blog as a journaling/family history method. Then at the end of each year I will print my blog for that year and my scrapbooking is done!

I have enjoyed scrapbooking my family's life and I treasure the family history I have created. It's just the best whenever any of my children sit down with a scrapbook and take a little walk down memory lane - that makes it all worth it. Not to mention the convenience of just grabbing a scrapbook if I can't remember a date and having the information at my fingertips.

But I have to say that I am feeling good about the fact that there is an end in sight. I may even have to move on to real family history work (read: genealogy) and begin redeeming my dead.

Note: the picture is the final page of our mission, and I just couldn't get it to copy rotated, even though I got it rotated in iphoto. I guess if I'm going to be a serious blogger I better figure some of this stuff out!

3 comments:

jenny said...

awesome, mom! i'm quite the frightening sight in that picture! Ah!

Anonymous said...

Jenny, you're definitely cuter and thinner now!:)

Gram said...

I think you have made wise decisions about scrapbooking. I wish I knew enough about blogging and pictures because I think that is a great way to record family history now. You can get away with that and maybe take a few 'in hand' photos, every year in case things should change that you couldn't read the disk.