Wednesday, October 22, 2008

My Missionary Nephew


Brent with Jenny and Laura

Dear Brent:

I just read your email and the tears are rolling down my face. I'm sorry it's SO hard. I know it is hard to be a missionary. But I also know it's worth it and it's important and it's what God wants for you and for the people you will teach. I'm so glad that you're there and that you know you should be and that we both know it will get better and that "all these things give you experience and will be for your good."

I know first hand how hard it is to be surrounded by people and places that are unfamiliar and that you can't understand. Just get through one day (hour, minute) at a time and know in your heart that you are where you are supposed to be, doing what you're supposed to do and that your family loves you and we're so proud of you.

Michael and his cohorts have been playing ping pong a lot. Let me explain: it is played without shirts and the loser of each match must go up against the wall while the winner pummels him with ping pong balls, causing little pink welts. There is much screaming going on during both the game and the "consequence!" I was rather disturbed by this behavior being a girl and a mother; Rich explained to me that this is normal behavior and what makes boys into men and prepares them to do hard things, like serve a mission. I hope that at this difficult time in your mission you might remember such moments in your own youth and first, smile, and second, know that you have been prepared for your mission, not only by such silly games, but through years of lessons at home and at church and because of the great spirit you brought with you from the premortal life.

Hang in there and know that you are loved and prayed for!

with love,
Janet

P.S. I promise that you will get a dresser and you will be both speaking and understanding Portuguese - all in good time.

6 comments:

Gram said...

Absolutely a great letter Janet. I couldn't say it better.

Jill Parsons said...

Thanks Janet for the email to Brent. Tears are still rolling down my face, but this to shall pass. Brent is a great guy and always loves a challenge. Looks as if he has a big challenge sitting in front of him. Your sweet to care so much for him. Thanks again

Richard B said...

Very good letter Janet. It is difficult to learn a language and teach the gospel. However, we have seen it done in the past and it will be so in the future. It's probably more difficult for the parents than the Elder. This to I shall overcome.

jenny said...

That was a perfect letter, Mom!

Keith Parsons said...

Thanks Janet!

His letter also made me cry a bit and worry (as a Dad) for my Son's well being and happiness.

It also reminded me of my first week on my mission where I had to sleep on a tatami mat on the floor without any bedding or pillow - damp, wet, and very uncomfortable.

After a Mission President interview where I cried and wondered why the sleeping situtation was so horrendous... Boy did my trainer get busted!

My bed and bedding was 'hidden' in a closet and they thought it was 'funny'...

Abi said...

What a sweet wonderful woman you truly are!