Monday, December 22, 2008

Christmas Music


I love Christmas music

Really, I love all of it. I have a special fondness for Handel's Messiah. (which you can read about here) This year I have especially loved Kurt Bestor's instrumental versions of Christmas carols, which I've had in my CD alarm clock all month. Thanks to Chelle's blog I've been listening to Sarah McLachan's Wintersong and adding it to my favorites.

When we were on our mission in Korea for the 1st and 3rd Christmases we had each zone into the mission home for a Christmas zone conference. In my message to the missionaries I told them about some of the Christmas carols that I love and then played them on CD. I don't know if it was meaningful to them, but it was meaningful to me to prepare it and to share it with them.

I was listening to the Forgotten Carols in my car the other day; my favorite is "The Shepherd." I found myself weeping tears of testimony as these words were sung:

I knew that as the world
moves on through time,
there would be more stories just like mine
about the souls who've chosen to believe
in something that they never got to see.
And do you think you'll join us
though you've not seen a thing?
you were not there in Bethlehem
Nor heard the angels sing.
but if you feel the spirit in the air,
then, just like me, you'll know that
He was here . . . He was here.
The King of kings and Lord of lords was here,
He was here . . . He was here.
And He will come again, for He was here.

I love Christmas music
because it brings the Spirit testifying of Him whose birth we celebrate.

3 comments:

jenny said...

Mom - you are amazing. It's true Christmas music is so cool. I've enjoyed rockin out to Shedaisy's Christmas CD w/ you:)

laura said...

I love Christmas music too.

A new favorite this year is by Sufjan Stevens. It's a set of five CDs entitled Songs for Christmas. You should check it out.

Richard said...

Well written, Janet. I love Christmas music too.