Monday, December 22, 2008

A Christmas Carol


It has been "A Christmas Carol" season for me. It started with reading the book for our book club, and being the discussion leader. I thoroughly enjoyed refreshing myself on Dickens' orginially wording, which sometimes gets lost in all the adaptations. (This is a pet peeve among the Rife family; we don't like it when movies or plays change from Dickens' verbage - it's the best, so just stick with it!)
Of course, the best part of the story is the message that we can change and improve with the help of the Spirit. But Fred's words to his uncle Scrooge are also profound:

"I am sure I have always thought of Christmas-time, when it has come round--apart from the veneration due to its sacred name and origin, if anything belonging to it can be apart from that--as a good time; a kind, forgiving, charitable, pleasant time; the only time I know of, in the long calendar of the year, when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely, and to think of people below them as if they really were fellow-passengers to the grave, and not another race of creatures bound on other journeys. And therefore, uncle, though it has never put a scrap of gold or silver in my pocket, I believe that it has done me good, and will do me good; and I say, God bless it!"

During the course of the month I have watched this version:
I really love the song from this movie entitled "Christmas Children" by SheDaisy on their Christmas album

And this version:

Which is a newer musical with Kelsey Grammer, and I love musicals!

And this version:

with Patrick Stewart, not a musical - but Jean Luc Picard - HELLO!

And this Rife Family Favorite:

Our favorite part is when Fezziwig makes a speech at the party and the two muppet hecklers say:
"It was pointless, it was obvious, it was dumb, . . . it was short - we loved it!"


And then last Saturday we continued our tradition of seeing the play at:


It is so fun to include the next generation in this fun outing.
Last year was Connor's first year

And this year Ayden got to come

Logan, Ayden and Mary



Michael and Alysha
Karrissa, Joe, Jenny and Trevor - it was Trevor's first time


The whole family:(Brian and Michelle both had to work - don't be confused, this is Anna, Brian's girlfriend, with Todd)

The best quote from Ayden as we were leaving the theater, said to my Mom:

"Grandma, why do they have real people, don't they have a TV?"


And just today my dear husband was watching this 1938 version:

I'm grateful that God inspired Charles Dickens to write this amazing Christmas story to remind us all that we can change and improve through the guidance of the Spirit - that is the glad tiding of Christmas as the angels told the shepherds:

"For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour,
which is Christ the Lord
."


3 comments:

Richard B said...

Thanks Janet for a neat post of the Christmas Carol. I really enjoyed the HCT program Saturday. I always look forward to the song by Cratchit.

Gram said...

Janet you did a great job of posting about "Christmas Carol". I need to borrow some of your versions and watch them. It is always fun to be with the family at "Christmas Carol" and other times, as well.

laura said...

I'm sad I missed it.

I'd like to see that Patrick Stewart version. I don't think I've seen it. And I've only seen the newer one once.

Have you ever seen a soundtrack for the Albert Finney one? I would LOVE that. Especially now that my kids have started singing, "Thank you very much. Thank you very much. That's the nicest thing that anyone's ever done for me..."

I agree with Gramps. What Child is This? by Bob Cratchit is a favorite part of the play.