Wednesday, December 17, 2008

A Significant Trip

Last week when I was going out to the car with an armload of stuff, including my purse, coat and two corningware dishes I was returning after Thanksgiving, I missed the last step in the garage and fell. I was shaky, but not really hurt, except for a sliver of glass in my finger from all the crashing glassware. Michael was home for lunch so I just picked up my cell phone and called him and asked him to come to the garage and help me.

He was there in a flash and so solicitous and kind, getting me a paper towel and tweezers for my finger, helping me up and cleaning up all the broken glass. Later in the afternoon he texted me to see if I was alright and that evening was checking out my sore ankle with his vast knowledge from the Sports Medicine class he's taking.

I was touched by his concern and care, but even more than that, he's been telling everyone about it. Michael is not a very talkative fellow, especially about feelings, so it's been interesting that this experience is so significant to him.

As I've listened to him tell about this experience to other family members and some friends, (his friend, Kenton saw me the next day and asked if I was okay) I've realized that his was a significant experience for Michael because it defines the moment when he changed from "care-receiver" to "care-giver." For the first time he felt protective of his mother as a man.



I love you, Michael and I'm proud of the man you've become. Plus, you're really strong and handsome.

3 comments:

Gram said...

I am glad Michael was home and could be a caregiver.

jenny said...

I'm so glad Mike was home to take care of you. He is a sweet boy who loves his mother!

laura said...

Such a cool story, Mom. (Not that you got hurt, but that Mike is so great.)

That Michael is one awesome kid.