Saturday, January 24, 2009

Chain Reaction

It all started when Rich got the bidet toilet seat for Christmas.

It had been my habit for many years to sit on the toilet lid after showering to put in my contacts and lotion on my legs, etc. But, the bidet lid does not lend itself to sitting upon as it is flimsy plastic and slopes downward.

Then on my trip to NY I started reading a book called "House Thinking" by Winnifred Gallagher. I only got into the second chapter, but she got me thinking as she suggests that we should decorate/design our homes on behavior-based, rather than appearance-based criteria.

While I was in NY I visited a couple of Laura's friends' homes. The more stark nature of their decorating styles back East got me thinking about maybe being less of the "cluttery decorator" that I tend to be. (Every surface cries out for embellishment - I don't know why they do that - I wish they would leave me alone!)

I also enjoyed being in Laura's home - yes, it is small, but it is functional for their family and feels organized and tidy.

Then, I had a six-hour flight home with all this time to THINK about all of that and make plans for the changes I was itching to make in our home.

So, I've spent the last 10 days doing some major cleaning out, rearranging to the main floor and while it has certainly taken longer than I expected, it feels GOOD! And I'm happy with the results. I cleaned and organized every drawer, cupboard and closet upstairs and took three loads in the back of my car to D.I., not to mention the garbage that was removed. I reduced and simplified and tried to make things more behavior-based.

This is the mess our bedroom was in for a few days "in progress"





One of the things I reorganized was my jewelry. I hung this hook board for my necklaces:
Using this fine tool that Todd gave me for my birthday:


My next chore will be to do the same thing in the basement. But I think I need some serious skiing before I do that and the fresh powder is on its way!

1 comments:

Gram said...

It is always such a good feeling to have the drawers and closets cleaned out. I don't have the energy to do that kind of stuff anymore but I really remember the delightful feeling when you have everything clean and organized. Your home is always lovely! You have done a great job decorating. I appreciate your new style but you aren't one to be minimal in your decorating even if you just want to be behavior based.