Monday, March 16, 2009

A Fond Farewell


Tiger has been a part of our family for about 15 years. She was a stray as a kitten and we took her in. She's been an amazing cat in many ways. We've all been entertained by her jumping on to the entertainment center. She has stayed healthy and strong and active even as she's aged. She's never been too cuddly, but she's got spunk and we've liked having her around.

But . . . All three of our sons-in-law are allergic to cats to some degree or another. They don't complain about Tiger, because really, they love her, too. But it makes me sad that they are sometimes uncomfortable in our home because of her presence.

I promised myself that next time Alan (he has the worst allergy to Tiger) came for a visit we would be cat-free. So, since the Buchanans are coming next month (Hip Hip Hooray) I wanted to find a new place for Tiger. Thankfully, Anna came up with the solution. She took Tiger this morning to New Haven - a school in Spanish Fork for troubled teens where they have lots of cats, a barn and girls who love to adopt and care for them. Tiger has always loved the outdoors and I hope she can live out her years in a place where she will be loved and can enjoy the open spaces.


This is my makeshift cat carrier for Anna to take Tiger to her new home.

Note: I have to admit that I won't miss being awakened by Tiger at 4 am to be let out or the meowing involved in getting someone to turn on the bathroom faucet so she can drink fresh, running water, or being bitten when I try to pet her.

6 comments:

jenny said...

you got creative with that kennel. it's a good idea to get rid of her--and honestly, i probably won't really notice. but she does look kind of scared in there:( she'll be loved though..probably more.

Kim said...

That's kind of sad! I hope Tiger is happy there and your sons-in-law are grateful for your sacrifice for their comfort!!

Richard B said...

Good bye Tiger. Like Jen said, we probably won't even miss her. But she has been a good pet and fun to watch climb. Good luck Tiger!

Laura H said...

Makes me kind of sad to know that the Rife home icon- the pet that wasn't much of a pet is gone. I too was allergic and remember the itchy eyes at time. She'll probably be missed more than you think.

Mary said...

It is kinda sad, and I know it was a hard decision because we all really do like tiggle-la-jay for some strange reason . . . but I'm proud of you! And I know Logan is grateful!

Gram said...

I meant to tell you Sunday night when I was there and we got busy and I forgot. One of the sisters I VT at the Seville has had her cat for 20 years this July. She moved him here from Oregon. So it is just as well you found a better home for Tiger. He will be missed since he has been around a long time but even I would get itchy eyes if I was there very long.