Sunday, May 3, 2009

Dance

Last night Rich and I attended the Timpanogos Dance Theater concert at THS. Our neice, Alysha was performing, as was Michael's girlfriend, Taryn. I have just one word:

WOW!

Rich and I were both impressed with the amazing performances of the dancers. We've been to a few dance concerts in our time. (Love you, Mary!)
The dancers were very good and the costumes and music were appropriate and wholesome and it was just a delight to watch.

In fact, I was near tears for much of the evening. Dance just touches my heart. I realized that I've missed watching beautiful dancers expressing themselves with their bodies; I haven't seen much since Mary traded in her dance shoes for motherhood. (a choice I'm very proud of, and she still teaches dance and choreographs. And BTW I'm in need of a "Mary's dance videos party!")

Sometimes I feel like Pam in "Saturday's Warrior." In the scenes in the pre-mortal life she's dancing and says: "I don't worry about what earth life will bring, as long as I can dance!" Then in the next scene, earth life, Pam is in a wheelchair. My heart dances even though my body doesn't.

Which got me thinking about regrets. I do wish that I had danced, and I often wish I were a runner. I guess truthfully the only things stopping me from running are 40 lbs and me. (I recognize that it's pretty creepy when older women dance, so I'm not planning on going there) So I'm announcing here and now that I'm going to start the "Couch to 5 K" program and run in the Freedom Festival 5 k on July 4th. (I kind of walked/jogged it last year with no training and the pathetic time of 45 minutes.)

Which also got me thinking about all the wonderful things I'm grateful that I have done with my body:

Giving birth to six children
Climbing to the top of Timpanogos twice
Taking care of my family and home and yard
Swimming with dolphins and reef sharks and stingrays
Hiking to Lone Pine all nine years I've been to Camp Shalom
Cross-country skiing

Indeed, it is all good

7 comments:

Richard B said...

Way to go Janet. Always thinking and improving your life. My next comment:
"Go and get Rich to participate." lol

Amberlin Gefrom said...

Oh my gosh Janet that is seriously so awesome..and you know what everyone has to start from somewhere. I remember making a goal to run a 5k was huge and scary to me. I know you can do it and will be great!! I might come that run too so if I do hopefully I will see you

Barbara Jackson said...

You are a good example to all your friends!!!

jenny said...

good post mom. i agree with you and good luck with your 5k if i was here i'd totally do it with you!

kira said...

This:

"(I recognize that it's pretty creepy when older women dance, so I'm not planning on going there)"

made me LOL. I guess I had never really thought about that...until I realized that lady from the Facts of Life was on Dancing with the Stars. And yes, it was creepy. However, you are not her in the least!! Good luck on the 5K--you have motivated me now. Perhaps I might enroll in a race over the 4th!

Gram said...

Thanks so much for using your body this week to help your Mom out. I appreciate it.

Good post about the things you have been able to do. Keep it up and maybe you won't end up like me in twenty years.

Gram said...

I meant to say that I really enjoyed the dance. I miss going to the dance concerts the granddaughters used to perform in. I remember well "Hotel California" and also "Alice" and her photos in her bedroom in Korea. All those dance nights with Mary, Karrissa, Jenny and Alysha. They were GOOD!