Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The Last Lecture


Tonight our book group reviewed "The Last Lecture" by Randy Pausch. He was a professor who videotaped/wrote his last lecture for his children when he found out he was dying of cancer. It's a touching and thought-provoking book.

Our assignment was to not only read the book, but to come prepared to share our "last lecture." The maxims and principles we would want to share with our family.

As I thought about this over the past week. My mind was brought back to the Rife Family Rules. We forged these rules for our family over fifteen years ago and they have remained on our fridge all that time. During family home evening we used to make the kids recite them from memory.

Well, I decided that our family rules could be my last lecture.

RIFE FAMILY RULES

1. Be kind and respectful to family members in voice and deed.

Since we're all God's children, it's always good to be kind and respectful to everyone.

2.
Let parents know where you are when you're not at home. Saying hello, goodbye, and goodnight are appreciated as well.

I think teenagers believed that this rule, which involved curfews, was about a control trip for the parents, but I tried to teach them that is really about safety and about courtesy. It's always good to let the people you love know where you are and it's always good to greet each other courteously. I like how my children are teaching their children this concept by expecting them to greet me when they come and go.

3.
Take care of your own things the the family things that you use.

Of course, when the kids were at home this one was about attempting to maintain order where eight people lived together, but on a deeper level, it's about stewardship and being grateful for the things we have by taking care of them.

4.
Do your best in everything you do.

If it's worth doing, it's worth doing well. We always taught our kids that it was their job to be good students, just like it was Mom's job to take care of the home and Dad's job to make a living for us.

5.
Be an active and obedient member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Again, NOT a control issue. Just the best way we know to be happy in this life and the next.

So there you have it ~ my last lecture.

It's all good!

5 comments:

Laura H said...

Our book club read that too, but all their meetings have been on nights I work so I haven't been able to participate. I did read the Great & Terrible series "with them".
Thanks for your post and information. I love and miss you!

laura said...

That's good, Mom. I loved that our family rules were simple, but covered all the bases. I will most likely copy those someday.

Love you. Thanks for your example and wisdom.

Gram said...

I always enjoyed coming to your home and reading the Rife Family Rules. That is a great last lecture! I watched the Last Lecture when he gave it on TV, but I haven't read the book. I loved how it was more important to him for each child to have family memories with him.

jenny said...

Thanks for teaching us so much, Mom. We've learned a lot through your words and especially through your example.

Gram said...

I loved reading it and I think Keith needs to read it too.