Saturday, June 13, 2009

Addie Landon's

A dear friend wrote me an email recently that reminded me of this story from my life.

A few years ago there was a cute little boutique in a beautiful white house on Main Street in American Fork. It was called Addie Landon's. I would stop there occasionally and sometimes buy something, but often just go to enjoy the store and the home it was located in.

One day when I was standing in Addie Landon's I said to myself, "I just want to live here." It was decorated beautifully with so many pretty things; it smelled good; there was lovely music playing (the theme from Anne of Green Gables)

Suddenly the thought popped into my mind:

You could make your home just like this if you wanted to, the only thing stopping you is ~ you.

I came home with a new perspective; a new "ownership" for my life. It is a lesson I need to learn (be reminded of) over and over again. I get caught up in just living and forget sometimes that I really have the agency to choose what I want my life to be and if it's not going the way I want ~ I can change it.

It is an empowering thought, but also a scary one ~ there's no one to blame.

~~~
We had Rex Kocherhans, a family therapist come to our Enrichment Thursday night. He said lots of good things, but this is my favorite:

Being healthy emotionally is two things:

~Being loving
~ Taking 100% responsibility for your life and choices

He also quoted Stephen Covey who said:

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with it"


~~~
I saw a saying at a store the other day that also sums up this thought:

Live the life you imagine


I feel that this week I am being reminded to Live Life on Purpose.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Those are some great thoughts Mom! Thanks!

Gram said...

Good thoughts Janet. You have really been THINKING this week.