Saturday, June 13, 2009

To Mothers of Young Children

Lately I've been thinking about how hard it is to be the mother of young children. Now that my "baby" is 17 and going to be a senior, I'm finally (knock on wood) feeling some freedom and autonomy in my life. It is wonderful!

I think I really thought this day would never come, when I can kind of plan my own days and have a relatively flexible schedule. I'm not sure I should be as giddy about this as I am.

So, I thought I'd just share some wisdom with my sisters who are still in the throes of not being able to go to the bathroom by yourself, or complete a thought, or find yourself in the car all day . . .

It really will end one day and you want to look back and have no regrets. You are doing right now the most important thing you will do with your life: nurturing young souls.

I remember that when I had six kids at home and was crazy busy, my Dad would tell me that I should just let some things go ~ like the house doesn't have to be perfect all the time, you don't have to have week-long celebrations for birthdays that border on wedding receptions (the family party, the friend party, the school party).

Less IS more.

I didn't believe him then, I didn't want to give up anything - I wanted to do it all. But, he was right ~ I should have let some things go. (Don't gloat, Dad)

I didn't think that this day - my life now - would EVER come. And it has been a long time coming ~ my oldest child is coming up on 31, so I have been doing the SAHM thing for over three decades.

So, I guess I just want to say, be patient ~ with yourself, with your children, with the season of your life. And enjoy it. Those little people, their hugs and sweetness and cute words and love are the payoff for the lack of autonomy you are now experiencing.

If you can find a few minutes to exercise, to pray and read the scriptures, if everyone is fed and happy and feels loved, well, the rest you can catch up on later - okay maybe a LOT later, but get the priorities right and it will all work out in the end. Really.

Russell M. Nelson said:

"When priorities are in place, one can more patiently tolerate unfinished business."

It's all good


9 comments:

Karrissa Winward said...

Thanks for the reminder Janet!

jenny said...

Two really great posts, Mom. Thanks! You're a great example and I enjoy learning from you.

Richard B said...

I'm delighted to read you comments and thoughts. We all can learn from others experiences, if we'll be humble and apply them. How often has the "wheel" been reinvented. Keep on keeping daughter!

Barbara Jackson said...

Beautifully said.

Mary said...

Thanks Mom! Those are some great thoughts! You are a great Mother and I love you!

Gram said...

Janet, that was another great post - a good reminder for all those young mothers with children to love and teach. I think we could all do it better with the wisdom we acquire as we age. The only thing is that we haven't the energy to put it in practice again. The post was thoughtful and insightful and I enjoyed reading it. Love you!

ImagineCozy said...

Janet, Thank you for letting me know that you are following my blog, and for commenting. I hope there are a few things that you find of value.

Doing the TV spot was such fun! And I am glad we got to sort of "meet".

I loved your post, it really is good to be reminded that you don't have to do it all. I have a 13 year old, a 9 year old and a 3 year old. The little one keeps me so busy and is great at creating her own "whirlwinds" throughout the house! But there is nothing like those hugs and kisses and the adorable things she says.

Thanks, Angela

Unknown said...

Thank you for that post! It is always nice to have a reminder of what really matters.

Kristen said...

Good words Sister Rife. And a much needed reminder as I am packing up my house with a 2 year old and a newborn at home getting ready to move to Idaho so my husband can do grad school. :) It's nice to know that there are those who've not just made it through it all but who've felt the way I feel now when they were in my place!

~Sister Wood