Wednesday, July 15, 2009

For Clyda

My dear friend Clyda complained to me yesterday that she keeps checking my blog and is disappointed when it still says "Fourth of July." (I really need to get that girl on Google Reader) So I thought I'd share some things that have been on my mind.

I have been pondering on D&C 101.

v 7 ~ God tells the people that they have suffered affliction because they were slow to hearken to His voice, so He is slow to hearken to their prayers in the day of their trouble. A reminder to pray even when things are going well for us.

v 6 ~ He condemns them for: jarrings, contentions, envyings, strifes, (not Rifes :) lustful and covetous desires. A reminder to avoid all these.

~ One of my all-time favorite verses is verse 16:

Therefore, let your hearts be comforted concerning Zion; (in place of the word Zion you can put the name of a person or the worry that you have) for all flesh is in mine hands ; be still and know that I am God.

v 22 ~ And God tells us His will: that we will call upon His name (pray) and worship Him according to the gospel (go to Church) and gather together and stand in holy places.(Church, Temple, our Homes)

This has been on my mind as I thought/worried about the people I know who are not attending church, who aren't "gathering together" to "stand in holy places" with the saints.

Then in Sacrament Meeting last week, Cory Borup taught a new word:

Peloton

A peloton is a group of cyclists who ride together in a group because they are more efficient with less individual effort as they ride together. They gain strength and speed from gathering together.

Cory compared this to our church attendance and activity ~ we gain strength when we are with others who have the same goals.

Clyda mentioned that we have lots of different pelotons that we ride with ~

our ward

our family

our friends

I have also felt that I have a peloton with the blogging world. The thoughts and insights I get from blogs make me stronger and make my journey lighter.
(Like my new Thought for the Week - from a blog I read yesterday.)

We have to choose to be a part of any peloton, and we have to take our turn being at the head ~ the person who doesn't really benefit personally, but allows the benefits for others.

It's a great analogy and a great word and I'm thankful that I can gather with my pelotons and be stronger than I could be alone.

It's all good!

P.S. Thanks for being in my peloton, Clyda!

6 comments:

Cami said...

I was just getting ready to prepare a spiritual thought for our presidency meeting tonight - thanks for giving me many to choose from and reflect upon!

Thurman Family Information said...

Love you dearly! Thanks!!!

I am LoW said...

Thanks for coming to my blog and telling me of your love for girls camp too! It's such a great thing. I have served as our ward camp director for 4 years and have worried about the day I am released. Now I just got put in the stake YW's and am SO glad that (hopefully) I have a couple of more years to go. It rocks! :-)

I am LoW said...

And by the way, I have an "it's all good" sign like yours, but different color, hanging in my kitchen. It was a saying my husband used a lot, before he became my husband. And my dad used it as a FHE lesson once, back in the day, too. :)

Barbara Jackson said...

I want on your team!!!

Gram said...

Great thoughts, daughter! I enjoyed it all.

I am happy you enjoyed camp, even though your husband hates being in the outdoors. At least you can say you've done the ten years of hikes to the lone pine tree.