Sunday, July 19, 2009

YW Camp 2009


9th Ward Young Women



I LOVE YW camp at Shalom!

So, I was THRILLED when I was invited to come to Shalom with the Bishop (aka My Dear Husband) this year. We left Wednesday after work and came home Friday after lunch. Every moment I was there was simply perfect.

I got to go on the Stake Hike to Lone Pine (my 10th time!) where the Stake President told all the girls about Michael sharing a Book of Mormon with another hiker when the YM were hiking King's Peak a couple of weeks ago. (A proud moment for any mother) On Friday there was a Value Hike with our ward that was spiritually uplifting and I was so happy that I was able to go and to witness the YCLs sharing their testimonies of the YW values. One of the great things about YW camp is seeing the older girls teach the younger girls.

I don't really like cooking at home, but for some reason I really like cooking at camp. I loved being around the campfire each night, seeing the Milky Way and amazing stars at night, the stake devotionals, the cabin pranks, the yummy food, being outside all the time, really ~ I just loved it all and feel so grateful that I got to go! It was fun not to be in charge and just to pitch in and help where I could and be with the wonderful YW and leaders from our ward.


Camp Shalom from Lone Pine with the snowfield in the foreground


From Lone Pine looking North along the Rim Trail


My beloved forget~me~nots


Interestingly, what was the best 48 hours of my year was the worst 48 hours for my dear husband. He really just doesn't like the out of doors. "Nature is overrated; there are bugs and dirt out there and you can't get your email." Because he is a good Bishop, he goes to YW camp, but he does not enjoy it.

5 comments:

laura said...

That first picture is breathtaking. I would love to hike to Lone Pine again.

I remember going back as an adult and thinking how short and easy the hike that I dreaded as a girl had become.

Shalom is beautiful. I'm glad you got to go, Mom.

Barbara Jackson said...

As your friend, I am THRILLED you got to go again. I know and appreciate how dear this place is for you!!!

Devri said...

I hated going to camp when I had to go but now that I don't have to go, I wish I could go! How fun for you!

I'm sad I didn't get a chance to come talk to you on Sunday! Bria made it through Sacrament and Sunday School like an angel but all of R.S. was just too much for her. We ended up in the halls. 2 more months until nursery! :-)

Love you!

Gram said...

I was happy for you when you told me you got invited to go to camp again. Not everyone LOVES the camp experience like you do. I think those who love it should go all the time.

The photos are beautiful and I would love to see it in person. I am glad it didn't disappoint for you.

April said...

I was at camp Shalom that same night! We were in the wilderness area. It was so much fun to go back as a leader and re-live my camp Shalom days as a young women:)