Thursday, July 2, 2009

Garage and 72-hour Kits

Today I spent the day in my garage. Literally. I cleaned and organized all the shelves and stuff in the garage and I reviewed and renewed our 72-hour kits. It does seem like I just did that ~ and yet, in fact, I assembled the food on 11/15/2005. I know that because I had a paper in each gallon ziplock of food in each person's pack with that information. (sometimes I love me)

Here's what's on the paper:

Assembly Date: 11/15/2005
Suggested Rotation: 2 years ( rotate granola bars in 6 months)

DAY 1
Breakfast: 1 apple juice, 1 instant oatmeal, 1 granola bar
Lunch: 1 cup of soup, 1 pkg crackers, 1 fruit snack
Dinner: 1 can dinty moore stew, 1 granola bar

DAY 2
Breakfast: 1 hot chocolate, 2 granola bars
Lunch: 1 stick jerky, 1 capri sun, 1 fruit snack
Dinner: 1 instant lunch, 1 can vienna sausage

DAY 3
Breakfast: 1 hot chocolate, 1 instant oatmeal, 1 fruit snack
Lunch: 1 stick jerky, 1 apple cider mix, 1 granola bar
Dinner: 1 cup of soup, 1 pkg crackers, 1 stick jerky

Snacks: hard candy and gum

1 spoon
1 2-liter bottle of water

I don't know where I got this originally, but it all fit in one gallon ziplock bag and I had one for each person.

I did have to throw all of that food out since it was well past its expiration date, but I didn't have to replace all of it because we recently bought some Daily Bread food storage from our awesome son-in-law, Trevor Cox (you can contact him at 801-413-9895) and I just put some of the yummy freeze-dried meals in my 72-hour kits!

It feels good to be prepared!

3 comments:

Richard B said...

Glad that you updated your 72 hour kits. How time flies with things like that. We need to update our 72 hour kit.

Gram said...

That was a lot of work and a lot of food to throw away. I don't know how many times we have done that also. As Dad said we need to update out 72 hr. kits. I know they are far outdated as well.

laura said...

Now you can come help me with mine!!