Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Word of the Year 2010



I've been thinking about my word for this year.

And I have chosen:

Purpose

As in, living my life on purpose. Making conscious choices about how I will spend my time, my money, my life, trying not to just let life happen. Also, to remember my purpose here on the earth ~

"to prove that I will do all things whatsoever the Lord my God shall command me." ~Abraham 3:25 (paraphrased)

"Behold, this is
your work, to keep my commandments, yea with all your might, mind and strength." ~D&C 11:20 (bold added)

"For behold, this life is the time for me to prepare to meet God; yea, behold the day of this life is the day for me to perform my labors. . . . I should work out my salvation with fear before God . . . " ~Alma 33:32, 37 (paraphrased)


To help me remember, this is what I see on my sacred grove desk every morning


This little statue is called "Happiness," she reminds me to cheerfully live on purpose, that life is not meant to be drudgery and I want to choose to be hopeful and happy. And the three bluebirds remind me of Faith, Hope and Charity. Over the years I have refined the meaning of these three words to me and they have become my mission statement. Rather than make new goals every year I just try to live every year more in these three principles.




it's all good


4 comments:

laura said...

I love it, Mom.

I think I've decided to not have a word this year. Is that sad? I think it only works to have a word for the year if there's one you feel like you really want to have for your word and I'm not feeling it this year.

Maybe I'll get a word in the summer when I'm done being a preschool teacher on top of everything else. I just have too much going on!

jenny said...

I love it Mom! And I LOVE that girl with the birds. You are so amazing. You are such a good example to me
of continually learning, growing, and improving. I love you!

Richard B said...

A great word! It has different meanings and can be very useful.

Gram said...

I am glad you are a person who lives her life with PURPOSE. I loved your explanation of things and your little girl with the birds. I don't know about birds but for some reason birds have always meant a lot to me. That is why I can't get rid of my little statue of a bird I got from Marsh many years ago.