Friday, February 5, 2010

Early Lent

I have weaknesses. One of them is spending too much money on clothing for myself and decorations for my home.

I like the concept of Lent, giving up something to become someone better.

After the excesses of the Christmas season, (did I mention that my dear husband really spoiled me?) I thought I'd start Lent early this year. Instead of waiting until Ash Wednesday (February 17th this year) to give something up, I decided that I would not purchase any clothing or home decor from Christmas until Easter. If you know me, you know this is a tough one! I honestly don't need a thing ~ I have enough clothes to probably last the rest of my life, and my home is completely decorated, in fact, some may say "over-decorated." And yet I do so enjoy shopping for these items.

Mostly, it has been a matter of training myself to not even go where I would be tempted. That means avoiding the clothing/home aisles at Walmart and Target, my favorite hangouts.

I succumbed in January. I went to the Provo Craft outlet, because it was next door to Simply Splendid where I went to get a birthday gift for my sister. I bought these two lovely topiaries with little blue pansies:


From the outside, don't they look great on either side of the gothic arch candle holder my sister gave me?


From the inside, see what I mean about the cluttery, over-decorator?

Well, I didn't feel too bad, since they were under $10 each. But still . . .

In February I had a couple of weak moments in Target and bought some clothing items. Once when I was by myself, but I had some Target gift cards from redeeming credit card points, so I rationalized that it was kind of like "extra money." (This goal really isn't about the money as much as me having self-control, so that really was a rationalization) And then again the next day when I was with Jenny. That night I was in bed reading, feeling really disappointed in myself. The clothes in my closet were mocking me, not making me happy. The book I was reading was "Weakness is Not Sin," by Wendy Ulrich, where she teaches that the remedy for weakness is humility (Ether 12:27) and the remedy for sin is repentance.

Now I'm not sure whether my purchasing of things I don't need is a weakness or a sin, probably both, ~ but I realized that I could repent by being humble and returning the clothing items I bought to the store. And so I did. And I felt free.

And now on to Easter with my integrity mostly intact and my resolve firm.

4 comments:

Karrissa Winward said...

That is tough for you, wow!

laura said...

I love you, Mom!

Gram said...

That is a tough one for you, honey. Sometimes I wish I had more of you in me. However, I was raised with so little of my own that it isn't a temptation for me to go to stores. My problem is food and lack of exercise., Now if I could give that up for lent. I did really well with no sugar for four days and then binged. It makes me so mad at myself for the lack of discipline. I'm glad you took it back and felt free.

Mary said...

Wow Mom, you're awesome. I know that if I had the $ I would have the same weakness. I'm proud of you for trying in the first place, and also for taking it so seriously. YOu are a great example of always trying to be better. I love you!