Friday, February 5, 2010

Blogging Thoughts

This week I read this article about blogging and it got me thinking about why I blog. My first blog post lists the reasons I started a blog.

I like to think that my main reason for keeping a blog now is that it's a good way to record my and my family's life that is faster, easier and cheaper than scrapbooking. (Although I am still going to scrapbook Christmases, finish Michael's books and complete 2005-2007 in the family albums ~ my goal is to finish these before Michael graduates in May!)

But honestly, it has become more than that. It's kind of a journal of my feelings, insights and testimony. I do keep a handwritten journal every day as part of my "sacred grove" time. Sometimes I write a lot, sometimes I just record what scriptures I read that day. I like that I can post on my blog an essay about something I've been pondering on. It helps me to put it down in writing that hopefully makes sense to others and maybe my great-grandchildren will read it online someday and know me better.

I have to admit there is a little vanity involved. (Alan was right) I like to think that I have something important to say and that it might be impressive or helpful to others. But, I also agree with an article my Kieth Merrill, the Mormon filmaker (which, unfortunately I cannot find on Meridian Magazine's website, which is where I read it) where his response to people who say that Mormon artists are practicing priestcraft by selling religious arts, is that artists do not create with a profit in mind, but they create because the thing (writing, music, art, film) is IN them and it needs to come out. And so many some of my posts are about things inside of me for which my blog is an outlet.

And it touches my heart when sweet friends say they've missed my blog when I take a little break. (Thanks Clyda and Barbara!)

2 comments:

laura said...

It's righteous vanity, right? I hope so because it's true that all of us blog-writers are vain in a way. But our true purpose is our families so I think it is righteous.

Gram said...

I love reading your essays. So often you say things I have thought of but don't know how to put it in words. Other times your essays amaze me that you have thought of things so deeply. I think writing a blog is mostly righteous because you are preserving history for your family and typing is so much easier than writing and scrapbooking.