Saturday, February 6, 2010

Skate Skiing


Today Kathy and I went to Ladies Day at Sundance Nordic Center. We rented skate skis (we usually do classic cross-country skiing) and took a lesson. Skate skiing is harder to learn so we've never tried it. But we often see skate skiers on the trails and the way they ski looks so graceful and fun, so we thought we'd give it a try.

It was really fun ~ but such a workout! It requires more effort than classic but there's a great "glide factor," which is exhilarating. I just may have to invest in skate skis at some point!

Our teacher taught us an important principle: Wherever you look is where you will go. If you look at a tree or the deep snow on the sides, that's where you will end up. Your body tends to just go wherever you are looking. Several times she would say to me as I was concentrating on my skis or the trail, "Look up, Janet." Amazingly, when I did look up, I skied better. That is certainly true in life as well, wherever we focus our attention is where we will end up.

Life lessons from skiing - who'd of thought?

2 comments:

Richard B said...

Thank you for your blog, great pictures and special comments. You are great.

Gram said...

Good comment on life Janet! However, if I don't look down when walking I have a tendency to trip and you know what happens to me when I trip. It isn't pretty.