Wednesday, March 24, 2010

22 Things I've Learned As A Mother

On Stacy Julian's (famous scrapbooker I learned about from Laura) blog today she suggested writing down 22 things learned from motherhood. She had her list and a video list from another blogger, but she thought it would be good to write your own list before reading theirs. So I did:

1. The sweet smell of a newborn.
2. The "terrible twos" will pass.
3. As will a son's eleventh year and a daughter's thirteenth year.
4. Hugs and kisses make so many things better.
5. There will ALWAYS be laundry.
6. Birthday celebrations last at least a week: family party, school party, friend party, etc.
7. Christmas is more fun with little children.
8. The joy of watching your husband bathe, tell stories and play with your children.
9. Bunk beds are overrated - way too hard to change the sheets.
10. That I would miss having a baby in my tummy.
11. That I would miss having a baby at my breast.
12. Talk less, listen more.
13. The best place to listen is in a car or lying in a dark room at bedtime.
14. To understand in a small way God's love for us, and to love His plan.
15. When you're in a hard stage it seems like eternity, but it really does go by fast.
16. Enjoy each stage of each child's life.
17. When you have PMS try not to cause any permanent damage.
18. The joy of the school schedule; it's so great when school gets out for the summer and so wonderful when it starts again.
19. Singing Primary songs at bedtime is my favorite.
20. It's always easier to do it yourself, but better to teach children how to do it.
21. Elementary School is the best, but you don't know it until you've had a child move on to Junior High.
22. It's the best job in the world and I'm so grateful that I got to have six little ones of my own and even though they're all grown up I still get to be their mother forever.

4 comments:

Jeanette Cox said...

I agree to all of them. You sure realize how fast time goes when your left with only one at home. Then you start to wonder if you taught your children everything they need to be great adults.

Richard said...

That was beautiful! I loved what you wrote.

Richard said...

I was a little confused at first, when number 8 said: "The joy of watching your husband bathe..." But it went on from there.

Gram said...

Great comments, Janet. I agree with them, except I only had four instead of six. Having children is the greatest of blessings - especially if you get to parent with a good spouse.

(I have to agree with Rich on "The joy of watching your husband bathe...I am afraid I thought like he did.)