Sunday, April 4, 2010

Happy Easter!




The view from our front door this Easter morning:


I am one of the few people not saddened by this view. Since starting skiing four years ago, I have gained a new appreciation for winter. I have always liked all the seasons, but now even more, I love the variety and change every few months in the weather. I know spring will come in earnest soon and I will enjoy it, but I'm happy that winter is hanging on a little longer. (Even though Sundance is closed, I might find another place to ski this week one more time)



I awoke this morning feeling much like Nephi:

"O wretched [wo]man that I am! Yea, my heart sorroweth because of my flesh; my soul grieveth because of mine iniquities. I am encompassed about because of the temptations and the sins which do so easily beset me. And when I desire to rejoice, my heart groaneth because of my sins;"

I stayed up too late last night. Yesterday I overate and wasted time. I went shopping. I awoke feeling disappointed in myself.

But,

It is Easter morning and I couldn't help but also feel hopeful. Christ died and was resurrected on this morning so that I can overcome my weaknesses and do better and be better.

Once again Nephi sums up my feelings:

"nevertheless, I know in who I have trusted.

My God hath been my support;

He hath filled me with his love,

He hath heard my cry

He hath given me knowledge

Awake, my soul! No longer droop in sin.

O Lord, I will praise thee forever; year, my soul will rejoice in thee,my God and the rock of my salvation."

And finally:

"I glory in my Jesus for he hath redeemed my soul from hell."

One of my favorite traditions on Easter is to listen to this song: "He's Alive" by Dolly Parton.
She's singing as if she were Peter on the morning of Easter.

Happy Easter
He's Alive!



3 comments:

Richard said...

I love your analogy to Nephi, but you're a pretty good person when your sins are not really sins. Weaknesses, maybe, but not sins.

Gram said...

Ditto on what Rich said! I am happy you were able to get to the mountains again, especially with fresh snow.

I am happy you enjoyed the trip to Logan for Ann's wedding. Sorry we couldn't be with you. How can you be so close to Layton and not see that sweet Myla Jae, Ayden and Sophie?

Chelsey said...

Thanks for commenting on my "breakdown" as Jeff has entitled it. I didn't know you had one, I'll be sure to check up on you!