Sunday, September 4, 2011

How to Make a Bed

Apparently, I have a little OCD about making beds. Often when I get to the cabin, I remake many of the beds. I taught our missionaries how to make a bed using scrapbook paper at one zone conference. I thought I'd just record here the Janet Rife way to make a bed.

1. You should have a good mattress pad and a feather bed on the top of that is ideal.


2. Place the fitted sheet over the mattress, make sure that you get the corners on correctly.


3. Place the flat sheet, right side down, (even if there isn't a print, it's proper to put the right sides together) If you always fold the sheet vertically first you will have a nice line showing you where to put the sheet so it's in the middle of the bed. Pull the flat sheet all the way to the top of the mattress so you have room to turn it down.


4. Fold the bottom of the flat sheet under the bottom of the mattress and make hospital corners.




5. Put the blanket or down comforter on over the flat sheet and then turn the sheet down over the blanket.


6. Place the pillows on the bed with the pillowcase opening to the outside of the bed.



7. Put the bedspread/comforter on the bed and follow with pillow shams.



I will add an alternative method:

You can also pull the comforter/bedspread down so that it is at the same level as the down comforter or blanket and then fold the sheet over both and then fold the whole thing down again. That is how I usually make my bed.




Here's how it looks with the sheet folded down.
And yes, I did match my paint color to my sheets!

And that's the way to make a bed properly!

10 comments:

Karrissa Winward said...

This is great! Joe is always telling me that the pillowcase opening should face toward the inside, although no one else does that! But now I can show him that Janet says they face out too!!!

Amberlin Gefrom said...

I got exhausted reading that...haha! Funny story we were making beds at a cabin we stayed at with our cousins and my brother could not get the fitted sheet on so someone cracked a joke "There's our sterling scholar!" he he he

Gram said...

I remember well zone confirm. When you taught elders how to make a bed.

Shari said...

This should be the first chapter of your book. Chapter 2 should be all about feather mattress toppers and duvet covers. Believe me, there is a need!

jenny said...

this is one of the many reasons you are the best. thanks for teaching us! now if every person who sleeps at the cabin would read this that would save you a lot of time :)

Shari said...

It looks so comfy and inviting. I just want to crawl in and drift off. I love it!

Sarah Bodine said...

This post is awesome! I feel like I just got to know you so much better:) We must be kindred spirits, because I am very picky about bed making in my house. Don't tell my kids,but over the years I go into their room every morning after they leave for school and re-make their beds PROPERLY!

Richard B said...

As always you have presented a great blog for many folks!

Jeanette Cox said...

Janet, I feel just like you on making a bed correctly. I worked at a B&B in High School. Sometimes the owners didn't even make them correctly. Thank you for showing that. It made me laugh.

Melissa said...

ahhh good to know!! thanks!