Monday, September 26, 2011

Joan


Joan with Bob Bockholt, she doesn't look very happy about having her picture taken!


We met Joan Hixon when Rich was made the Bishop of the 9th ward in September of 2005. Joan was 73 at the time and a widow. The word that comes to mind when you think of Joan is: Character! She is a character with a heart of gold. A few years ago I became Joan's visiting teacher. She's a joy to visit because she just enjoys it so much having people come to her house and visit for an hour or so. She often commented that she wished we came twice a month. Even better than that was taking her out for lunch. She loved to go out to lunch and visit with the sisters. We started inviting her to Sunday dinners at our house. She would love to visit with all the members of our family and she would be funny and sarcastic. She loved all young people.

Last month my partner, Shelby, and I had an appointment to take her to lunch on Tuesday, September 13th. I had invited Jenny to come along because Joan and Jenny like each other! When we got there to pick her up there was no answer at the door. She usually is ready and waiting by her garage door. We saw that her car was in the garage and knew she must be home, and then we were worried that something was wrong. We knew we just had to get in there and check on her. We tried breaking the glass on the french doors on her patio, but it didn't work. Then Jenny tried a couple of kick-boxes to the door and it opened. We ran in but her bedroom door was locked as well. Jenny was able to get that lock open with a knife from the kitchen. (Who knew Jenny was so good at "breaking and entering"?) We found Joan on floor of her bedroom; she had had a stroke. We immediately called 911 and got an ambulance there and took her to the hospital.

Subsequently, Joan died a week and a day later. She will be missed by our ward family. She was a bright spot in our ward on testimony meetings; you would never know what she was going to say! She was generous to a fault. She would take in stray people and pets without restraint. After I got sick she would call every day to see if she could do something for me. And then she would call Rich when I wasn't around to see if I was "really okay."

Some of us sisters got to dress her body in her temple clothes. It was my first time doing that and I found it to be a very spiritual experience. I was able to lead the singing at the funeral and Rich gave a great talk; just what she would have wanted.

I'm just grateful that I got to know Joan Hixon and that she was part of my life for the last six years. I'm sure that the moment she passed through the veil she felt the love of God overpouring because she was a good person.

Rich and I with the flowers we gave for her funeral

1 comments:

Shari said...

I am so glad Joan has this beautiful tribute from you. You were such a friend to her in every way. I miss her and think of her every time I pass her house. I hope she knows how much she is missed. We all impact each other for good!