Monday, July 14, 2008

Girls Road Trip

1. Somehow I managed to get to the ripe old age of 50 having never seen the Grand Canyon. It has a been a dream of mine for some time to see this amazing natural wonder. My friend, Judy Richards, just a year my junior has shared this dream with me for some years now.


2. Jenny's sweetie, Trevor, is working hard for their future selling food storage in Mesa so, of course, wanted to visit him.

3. My friend, Clyda Thurman has two daughters and seven grandchildren living in Mesa, so she's always up for a road trip to visit her family. And her cute daughter, Kylee who is one of my lovely Laurels joined us.




All of which led to a really fun Girls Road Trip! So on June 27 the six of us headed out bright and early for Mesa, AZ - a 10-hour drive. I have never been to Arizona (if you don't count that little piece between St George and Las Vegas) so it was great to see new country. Our first stop was on the bridge next to the damn that creates Lake Powell. Judy, Jenny and I thought we should walk across it just for fun. After that we decided that we were the best "dam" friends ever!




We had a delightful weekend staying at Mandy and Aaron's lovely home, complete with swimming pool and fun grandchildren! We shopped a little, ate at the Cheesecake Factory, went to the Mesa Temple ( #22 for me) and visitor's center. I got to see Trevor's house and he even took me to a Fresh Produce store. (my favorite clothing brand) It was a really pleasant and relaxing trip.

On Monday we headed home via the Grand Canyon. We got there Monday night just as the sun was setting. We tried to do some stargazing, but it was cloudy. (darn!) Tuesday morning we watched an IMAX movie about the Grand Canyon and then drove east along the South Rim stopping at several view points along the way and even venturing a little hiking.













I have to say that after anticipating seeing the Grand Canyon for many years, it does NOT disappoint! It is awesome and amazing; beautiful and scary at the same time. These pictures definitely do not do it justice!

Thanks to my fun traveling companions, especially Clyda for being such a great and generous driver. It was a wonderful trip!



7 comments:

jenny said...

It was a blast! Thanks for the awesome trip! You're one fun gal!

Richard B said...

I'm pleased you were able to see the Grand Canyon and have a fun trip. You did accomplish alot in those few days.

Karrissa Winward said...

How fun is that!

Cami said...

What a fun car full of people! I'm sure it was entertaining. Glad you got to check the beautiful Grand Canyon off your list. It's probably better that you went now, I'm sure I didn't fully appreciate it when I was a teenager and taken there!

laura said...

Wow! That is beautiful. I would love to go on a road trip with you and your friends. Jenny's lucky!

Gram said...

What a great trip you had. I am happy you have "dam" good friends. I am impressed with you knowing how to do all this picture posting, etc. It was nice you could finally see the Grand Canyon. I felt the same way about Yellowstone Park. I had lived in Morocco, Norway, Wyoming and Idaho and had a daughter in jr. high before I ever saw Yellowstone.

Mary said...

So fun mom! I wish I could've come with you guys! looks like you had a great time!