Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Planting Hope

Today Todd helped me "winterize" the yard. We cleaned out all the beds of annuals and the garden. We turned off the water and Todd worked on blowing out the sprinkling system. Then the fun part: for the first time I planted fall pansies that (barring the deer eating them) will bloom in the spring as well. And I planted 122 bulbs! I haven't done bulbs for years and I'm so excited to see them come up in the spring. It feels so hopeful, putting those little bulbs to bed in the earth so they can sleep and grow and bloom when it's just beginning to get warm. Plus, I'm also happy to know that I don't really need to do any yard work for about six months! On to ski season!



I love this front porch bed since we got rid of the oversize blue spruce and bushes and it looks cleaner. The pansies and new bark make me happy!



We had too much water after the recent snow melted so I improved the run-off situation so hopefully we won't have water in the basement window!

6 comments:

Devri said...

Your garden looks great!

Richard B said...

Good job Janet and Todd. Looks great and your new plants. Looking forwrd to seeing your two lips. Yup, on to skiing when we get more snow.

laura said...

It looks beautiful, Mom. Good work!

Barbara Jackson said...

You inspire me!!! So much energy and commitment to your own life. You make me want to make things around me better. Thank you my friend:)

jenny said...

Looks great, Mom! Your front porch always looks so inviting and homey.

Gram said...

How very nice that you have all that done. I'll be anxious to see all those bulbs in the spring. I am happy Todd assisted you in the project.