Monday, November 10, 2008

Purpose and Deep Thoughts

Last week in Sunday School our teacher handed out 3x5 cards and asked us to write down 6 things we "desire most" in life. I took this assignment quite seriously, but only came up with 4 items. At the end of the lesson, he brought us to 3 Nephi 19:9 and reminded us of the Nephites praying for that "which they most desired," which was the gift of the Holy Ghost. Then he suggested we review our lists and see if the things listed were things we would feel good about praying for.

This little object lesson has stayed with me and brought me to some pondering on the subject. What do I "most desire?" And if I really desire it, am I praying for it daily and with real intent? And can I desire things that relate to other people's agency, or just mine? It's clear to me that like the Nephites, we can't get what we desire most without Divine Intervention.

Then I saw Will Smith on Oprah and he said that at this point in his life, "Nothing in my life is without purpose." Which had me thinking about living life "on purpose." Does everything I choose to do all day fulfill a purpose, what I most desire? Or am I just "going with the flow?"

So I won't bore you with all my answers to these questions, some of which are found in the poem, "Quiet Time" on this blog. But they are good questions and I want to keep asking and finding the answers.

4 comments:

Keith Parsons said...

Janet,

You are so good at this kind of thing... but it's just not my style. I really believe a 'examined life isn't worth living'

Just live the truth - don't analyze it.

But then again, I don't get any fulfillment or 'energy' from the search inside.

Sorry, but the poem didn't me anything but 'mumbo jumbo' to me. But then again I've been told many times I don't have a heart in here. ;-)

Richard B said...

How did we come up with two different personality children. At least you are civil to each other. The 3x5 card is there as well. Thanks Janet for your insight and thoughts. Thank you Keith for keeping everyone thinking and challenged. Love ya....

jenny said...

Thanks for your thoughts, Mom. That was a great lesson last week. I loved what you wrote and it really made me think more. You're an amazing person and I love and respect you so much.

Gram said...

I loved your comments and thoughts, Janet. I think like that a lot but I don't do well at putting those thoughts into words. I am getting so that I just go with the flow anymore. I try to live the truth like Keith says. I think a lot of the difference between you and Keith is just the difference between men and women. He has always liked to challenge anyone's thinking.