Saturday, January 31, 2009

The Results

Laura asked me to post some pictures of the results of last week's reduce/simplify/purge experience. Most of the changes are subtle internal changes like more space on the closet rods and tidier drawers, but here are some pics anyway.


Our room: still lots of pillows on the bed and stuff on the nightstands, but a new frame over the bed that I got my dear husband for Christmas ~ it says "Always Kiss Me Goodnight" ~ a sentiment I highly endorse. And the lamps are closer to the bed.

The big and best change is the sitting room ~ little room off the kitchen that used to be the dining room before we added the great room. It is quite a popular place and there was never enough seating so after much ado we got a corner sofa from Ikea this week which is PERFECT.


It was hard for me to give up the big round table I had in there with my cute decorations on it, but the seating is obviously way more functional. The next problem was getting some lamp light without any tables. (I really don't like overhead lighting, so I must have a lamp in every room) I had this cute white floor lamp but it needed a new shade. I finally found the perfect size and shape but it was white - boring. So today I downloaded instructions from the internet and covered it in blue fabric! I also have some red trim I was going to put on it, but I'm undecided about whether I want the trim or just like it blue. I'm open to opinions!


I wanted to get a more open space feeling in the star room so I took out the Ikea chair that was in there and put this small rocker which was red, but I spray-painted it navy. I love spray paint!

As I look as these pictures I realize I'm still the "cluttery decorator" I have always been, because I love too many things. But I really did get rid of some things and I feel more streamlined and organized.

So those are my changes and they are fun and feel good.

5 comments:

Gram said...

Nice changes, Janet. I always like what you do to decorate yours and others homes. Thanks for sharing your talents.

Karrissa Winward said...

It is funny that sometimes the smallest places become the favorite sit and talk spots- yours with the new couch and my mom's breakfast nook. There are huge family rooms but everyone gathers in the smaller one. Glad you accommodated- the sectional will be great!

Jill Parsons said...

Looks good. I can't wait to sit on it Sunday.

Richard B said...

Your new sitting area was put to good use Sunday. Thanks so much for sharing your home, food and Super Bowl family activity. It appears a fun time was had by all! Too bad the Steelers won.

Shari said...

Janet, I love your new rooms - especially your beautiful new sofa. I know you did it for more seating, but it looks so comfortable everyone will want to lie on it! It's perfect with the red ottoman. Your decorating reflects your generosity in wanting everything to be welcoming and happy. Who can resist not hanging out for hours?