Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Los Angeles Temple



I am currently in Anaheim ~ the home of the "Happiest Place on Earth."

My dear husband has a convention and meetings here all week and I love that I get to tag along.

Today he had meetings all day without me so I rented a car (this is a first for me, 52-years-old and rented my first car!) and drove to the Los Angeles Temple. I have never been there and I really like to go to temples I haven't been to before. Due to the business trips of my dear husband I have been to the following temples: Swiss, Tahiti, Las Vegas, Kona Hawaii, and now Los Angeles. I was hoping to squeeze Newport Beach in this week as well, but it's closed for maintenance :(

So I used my iphone maps to get me to the temple. One small glich ~ I really needed a restroom stop on the way there. I finally just pulled off the freeway and at an exit that I saw had an entrance. I thought I'd just find a gas station or fast food place to make a quick stop. All the signs were in Spanish! After driving for blocks I finally saw a parking place in front of a furniture store and ran in. I used to work at a furniture store, so I'm pretty comfortable at furniture stores and it seemed a safe place to stop. They very kindly let me use their restroom and I was back on my way. And thanks to my iphone I was able to find my way back to the freeway.

The Los Angeles Temple is huge and I was really happy when I saw it looming ahead of me. It was built before I was born! They only have sessions once an hour and the rental car guy told me I shouldn't be trying to come back from LA after 3 pm, so I decided I would do initiatory and then put on a white dress so I could visit the celestial room. I had a lovely time. I safely got back to the hotel feeling quite proud of myself for the adventure.

When I was driving around looking for a restroom and finding my way back to the freeway I thought about all the wonderful saints in the world who have traveled to the temple at much greater expense and inconvenience and even danger, than I ever have. In some small (really, really small!) way I joined them today.


It's all good!

4 comments:

jenny said...

You're brave Mom! Go you! It looks like a beautiful Temple. Enjoy your trip! And have fun at Disneyland today. Text me a pic while your there so I can feel a little bit closer to the happiest place on earth.

Richard B said...

Yea Janet! Glad you are brave and doing new things. Life would be more challenging without your iPhone?! Why to go girl.

Nicole said...

I am so happy that you enjoyed yourself at "my temple". I am also glad you were able to find a bathroom safely, I don't even want to know what city you were in. Have fun in our beautiful state.

Gram said...

You are brave! However, you also are very good with maps and finding your way around so it didn't surprise me that you rented a car and drove alone. Now if I had done that then you would have a surprise. Too bad that the Newport Beach temple was closed. I love going to different temples,but unfortunately, don't remember the insides. We went to the LA temple twice, I think when you grandparents lived in CA.