Monday, March 8, 2010

Daughters


Jenny and me on the steps to the Mission Home under the rose arbor in Daejeon, Korea

On Saturday when I was walking out of Target I saw Lori and Sydney McGinn walking in. I don't think they saw me as they were deep in conversation. Lori is our stake president's wife and Sydney is her 12-year-old daughter.

I was reminded of Jenny, my sidekick and best friend for the three years we were in Korea. Jenny was just 12 when we went and we were both a little lost with no friends or family. So we did everything together. Jenny always accompanied me on all shopping excursions. I don't think I would have made it without her.

Then when we came home, even though she had friends and fun things to do, she's always been so attentive to me and wanting to spend time with me and visit with me. She's a generous shopping buddy; she always spends time looking for things for me as well as for herself.

And now she's married and I'm so happy for her. In fact, when each of my daughters has married, I've mourned a little. Because I want them to have a happy marriage and I know that that relationship needs to come first. But I'm a little sad at the change in OUR relationship. I remember driving by Laura's first apartment in Orem and wanting to stop by, but realizing that I needed to let her establish her family without me hovering. Mary stayed with us for a couple of months in Korea before she came home and got married, and both Jenny and I missed her when she moved back to Utah.

Because of the fact that Jenny is the youngest, we had more time together just the two of us. When I saw Lori and Sydney walking into Target together it touched my heart. A little sadness that that time is over for me, but a lot of gratitude for having such wonderful daughters and sharing such a lovely relationship with these girls who I gave birth to and then they became my friends.

I love you, my sweet girly~cues Laura, Mary and Jenny!

6 comments:

Gram said...

What a very special post Janet!! I love your daughters also and I am so glad you have such a good relationship with them. I missed that with my own daughters until they got older. My mistake, I guess. You were able to have super relationship with Jenny because of the circumstances. I love all the girls in my family. (boys too, but this post was about the girls).

laura said...

I love you, Mom.

jenny said...

Thanks Mom. I'll always cherish the memories we've made in Korea. I love you!

Fran Kieffer said...

Janet
Your post really brought strong emotions in my own heart.
We surely aren't prepared when our children leave our nest.
It is such a blessing to see your children happy and being good parents to your grandchildren, but there is still an empty spot.
I remember the feeling of having them bathed and snug in bed. I miss that. I miss my girls.
You have such a wonderful family that I love. Congratulations on the new grandbaby tomorrow. :D

Gerb said...

What beautiful words!

Richard said...

I recall fondly the time you and Jenny had in Korea. I probably recall it more fondly than you do.