Monday, March 8, 2010

TA DA!



The quilt at the foot of the bed is the one my Grandma Carlsen made for my wedding. I remember she called this color "orchid." This is the back, the front is a turquoise/orchid plaid with orchid ties. I didn't realize until I was done with the room that this quilt matched so well. I'm happy that I can use it in this room. You can read more about my Grandma and her blankets here.


The dresser and stacking tables came from Rich's great Aunt Earleen's home in Eureka.


As I was gathering decorations for this room, I started to have something of a "bird" theme. So I just went with it. Maybe if you make the pictures bigger you can see the birds. Hey! This could be a game ~ see if you can find the eleven (Laura's favorite number!) birds in this room. In fact, I'll make it a giveaway ~ first person to identify the eleven birds gets a copy of my husband's new book coming out in April!



I got this cute board at Hobby Lobby and I just put some of my favorite sunset pictures in it.


My attempt at making a "bird" pillow (that's one of the eleven) It kind of reminds me of the partridge on "The Partridge Family" TV series. How old are you?


I love that I found this scrapbook paper in purple with the chair and then I added the birds and framed it. I found the black and white plates at Planted Earth ~ they have awesome "flea market" finds as well as flowers and jewelry.



Cool frame from Hobby Lobby in which I placed our family picture from Christmas and the "zip up team" (my gkiddies in their Christmas zip-up footie pjs) I am bugged when I look at this picture with the light switches! The one in the middle goes to the closet light, why they didn't put it opposite the other one by the closet door is a mystery only a contractor would know.


Some birds on the dresser . . .



Since I took the dresser/mirror that were in the Americana room, I brought back (from the storage room) this wonderful dressing table (that matches the bedroom set in the Teddy Bear room but doesn't fit in there with the crib) and the mirror that goes over it.




So I just put a full-length mirror in the Teddy Bear room



Name That Room!

I have given my guest rooms names which I put in vinyl letters on the door:



This room has furniture from my Mom and quilts and accessories from Rich's Mom, thus the name.

And now what to name my new guest room? I started out thinking I would just call it the "black and white" room, but then I added purple and birds. So then I thought the "tweet suite?" Or maybe the "orchid" room since that's what my Grandma called the color. Michael suggested the "west wing" ~ get it? WING - birds have wings ~ and it is on the west end of the house.

Feel free to cast your vote or give other ideas. I still need to paint the door before I get the vinyl lettering.

12 comments:

Devri said...

OK, I absolutely love this room! It's gorgeous! I love the colors!!! It's my favorite!

Location of birds:
1 = next to the clock on the wall
5 = there are a total of 4 on the dresser
8 = there are 3 in the picture near the plates
9 = the pillow
11 = 2 hanging on either side of the family picture near the door

I love the name "tweet suite" or "orchid suite". They are all such cute ideas and I am sure whatever you choose will be perfect!

Devri said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Janet said...

Devri: You did it! Awesome! You're the winner!

Richard said...

I won't purport to name the room, but just note that you're a great interior decorator!

Love, rich

Barbara Jackson said...

Again. Wow. Most of us take months-years to decorate a room. You have talent my friend!!

Kim said...

Orchid is for the bird

Fly away Orchid

Orchid Feathers

(I like Orchid in the name or something with sunset)

Orchid sunset

Egg-strodinary Orchid

Ok, I'm done. Love the room! I'm usually not a fan of purple, so I was nervous, but I like lavender and you did great!

Gram said...

It is a great room! I like the name of all suggested. West Wing, I think you have to explain so I vote for the "tweet suite". I love the talent you have for decorating. You have a great talent and you have been blessed when you share that talent.

laura said...

You forgot "Poiple Boidie Room."

I love West Wing. That's perfect! Humorous. And named by Mike! How often does he get involved in the decorating and/or naming of rooms? I say go with it!

I love the room, Mom. You're gifted. Someday I'll have a house with rooms to decorate. Right?

laura said...

Oh, I forgot to mention that I love that Grandma Carlsen's blanket goes in there. And I love that there are 11 birds. Never add another one. And also I love the framed paper with the chair and bird.

Karrissa Winward said...

I love the purple and I love the bedding!! Where did you get the bedding? Great job.

Laura H said...

my vote is for "tweet suite" AND I like "west wing"
The room is AWESOME. Wish I could fly you up to my house.
Love your talent!

Gerb said...

If you ever have the itch to decorate for someone else you're welcome to come visit my house. You are one talented lady! I LOVE birds and I love the 2 names: Tweet Suite and West Wing for your beautiful new room.